altogether Beautiful...

That is what my Jesus is to me. His voice is sweet, and His form is lovely. The most amazing, incomprehensible thing, though, is that I am altogether Beautiful to Him.

My Photo
Name:

I am a daughter of the King. I am a friend of sinners. I am confident that nothing shall separate me from the love of God. I am seeking a heart after God's own heart. I am righteous in Jesus Christ, apart from the works of the law. I am not ashamed of the Gospel.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us! :-)

Last Saturday Jonathan and I celebrated our first anniversary together. It was heavenly. We have also officially lived in China as a married couple longer than we have lived in the US. Amazing.

China has been quite an adventure... learning the markets where we can haggle over everything from the price of broccoli to the price of a pair of shoes. Most of my winter wardrobe was purchased for $7 or less per garment. Fun! I have found though, unfortunately, that my feet are simply not a standard Wenzhounese size. Apparently even in China Wenzhou is known for small feet. They are also a huge manufacturer of shoes which only adds insult to injury- you should See the selection of shoes (literally thousands of styles) for prices even I can afford that I do not have access to because of my strong support system (my feet). :-P Oh well :-)

I've also become very comfortable with my teaching schedule and students, which has made this semester much less stressful than the last. PTL!

Now I know that if I were reading my blog, and I was not me, I would probably want to hear some interesting stories or something, but since I'm the writer not the reader I am afraid I will discuss what I choose.

What does it mean to "Take a Stand" on something?

Facebook is an intersting thing and a great tool for connecting with friends and relatives, but I've begun to see what I'm afraid will become a trend. People using facebook to "Take a stand." Notes that point out observed problems and decry their menifestations (and stating that the author is finally "taking a stand"). Status' that beg, "where are the Real Christians?"

To the status I want to reply, "What about you? Are you a "Real" Christian? Ok, well there's one you know of." To the notes... ug... is expressing an opinion really taking a stand? Especially expressing an opinion about other people's behavior?

"Abortion is wrong and immoral and it should not be legal." There. I just stated my firmly held conviction. Did I take a stand? I really don't think so. Now, if I were on trial for holding such a belief and there were real consequences for such a statement then yes, perhaps that would be "taking a stand." And maybe some of my friends or relatives would be very offended by my belief and challenge me to defend it. Would holding to my convictions be taking a stand? I don't know, maybe. But "Taking a Stand," doesn't that imply doing something? Like volunteering at a Crisis Pregnancy Center or an agency that provides counsel and support to confused and hurting women. Or even, volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters or Novo Ministries or even Character First! to help the kids who may otherwise become tomorrow's statistics. Isn't this a much more meaningful way to Stand? To actually Do?

On the playground, taking a stand against bullying is not just not being a bully, or even telling the bullys to leave the uncool kid alone, but being the friend that that kid needs.

BE the change that you want to see in the world.

-Shannon

P.S., in writing my observations and opinions I am not actually "taking a stand" against empty facebook "Stand Taking." Unfortunately. Because this was much easier than actually talking with the people who inspired the post. We'll see if I have the courage for that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eden said...

So I'm finally commenting, because I DO believe this post is comment-worthy! But even if it weren't...I still love it :D

Doing, instead of just saying, is how you determine whether your heart is really in it, I think. Anybody can talk. It takes a real man/woman to ACT, because that is real sacrifice.

"BE the change that you want to see in the world." Powerful, powerful stuff, that. Start with the man in the mirror. :)

Yay Shannon!!! :D Thanks everly so muchly for posting this :) You know why I love it so :) God bless you.

9:57 PM, March 19, 2009  
Blogger Megan Spilker said...

Hey Shannon! I was going through my bookmark lists (very extensive ones) and re-discovered your blog. I'm happy to see that you're updating as well!

Happy Anniversary!

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on "Stand Taking". I definitely see your point.

Take care and please keep posting! I really enjoy hearing about your life in China.

- Meg

8:33 PM, April 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home