altogether Beautiful...

That is what my Jesus is to me. His voice is sweet, and His form is lovely. The most amazing, incomprehensible thing, though, is that I am altogether Beautiful to Him.

My Photo
Name:

I am a daughter of the King. I am a friend of sinners. I am confident that nothing shall separate me from the love of God. I am seeking a heart after God's own heart. I am righteous in Jesus Christ, apart from the works of the law. I am not ashamed of the Gospel.

Saturday, October 09, 2010

On Turning 27


First of all, I would like to say that I believe 27 to be a most beautiful number. In separating myself from years past and years to come I am not at all apprehensive on turning this age. I think answering "twenty seven" to the question of my age will be a delightful experience.

I was distraught, yesterday, at the prospect of adding a number to my official years. I really and truly do not like the idea of aging. it gives me a sense of urgency to DO something, to ACCOMPLISH something so that I can somehow validate my time and existence. I always feel like I haven't done enough, and therefore have not earned another year or, worse yet, that I have wasted one.

This morning, though, my husband took me out to breakfast. We went to Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is a very grown-up place to breakfast (from the look of our fellow diners, perhaps a little too "grown up" for our current ages ;-)). While waiting (25 minutes) for our meals to be served, Jonathan asked me about my last year. In his words, "How's it been?"

That question got me thinking. And talking. And as I was talking, I understood better what I was thinking. Those of you who know me understand. :-) I have had an amazing year. Better yet, I have a remarkable life. This year, I have raised a son. Of course this is a process which is just beginning, but one that brings a tremendous amount of joy and satisfaction. I have learned so much about God and even about myself as I have given my love, time, and energies to this precious little one. He has bright, clear blue eyes and blond locks that curl at the ends. He has porcelain skin, rosy lips and cheeks, and long, dark eyelashes. Seriously, is there any better combination for a little child?

This year, I have better learned who I am as a woman. I am very happy about these discoveries. I've just begun the book "Captivating," which I have owned for about 4 years and stoutly resisted (don't tell me who I am, thank you- you've never met me). I cannot wait to read more. Guess what? I AM Beautiful! I really am. And I am worth discovering, and I am worth fighting for, and I am worth protecting, and I am captivating and deep and wonderful right down to the core of who I am. Realizing that it is ok not only to want these things, but to Be these things, to Know these things about myself is very liberating. How foolish for a powerful and valorous and masculine man to attempt to hide his manliness- that is who he is. How foolish for a beautiful, captivating, fascinating, compassionate and wonderful woman to attempt to hide her qualities- much more to even deny them to herself. They describe who she is. Who I am. Wow, how amazingly wonderful to know.

This year, I have learned again what amazing friends I have. Really, truly amazing friends of the highest possible caliber. Friends who encourage me when I am distraught. Friends who laugh with me when I am silly. Friends who drink coffee (or tea) at Starbucks with me. Friends who are willing to work through misunderstandings because they value me as a person, and they value our friendship. Friends who keep high standards for themselves as persons. Male friends who are gentlemen, respectful, moral, and masculine. Female friends who are strong, gentle, intelligent, and feminine. I am amazed at people I know and honored by those who have chosen me as one of their friends.

My husband is an incredible man, and I am an enviable woman. Some think we are an odd match. Sometimes I am some :-). He is strong and kind, intelligent and reserved, determined and committed. He lives on the moral high ground. He set his camp there long ago and has since laid his foundation and built his house. He invited me to move in and together we are making it our home. The man I married always, Always, Always does what is right, no matter the cost. I could not have more respect for him. He wants to know me and understand me. He desires to love me how I need to be loved, so he has made it his mission to find my hearts desire and give it to me. Seriously, ladies- could I ask for anything more?

I am altogether beautiful, altogether blessed, altogether lovely and altogether loved. Thank you all for your love and friendship on my 27th birthday!

Love,
Shannon

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

happy, happy birthday Shannon!! I am so happy to see the Lord's working in your life and to hear the joy that is obvious in your post. Thank you for sharing some of your birthday joy!!

4:05 PM, October 10, 2010  
Anonymous Mom said...

Did you know that, being that my birthday is on the 27th, that 27 has always been my favorite number? It's going to be a great year:)

9:11 PM, October 10, 2010  
Blogger Shannon Jessup said...

I didn't know that, Mom! Thank you, Jessica :-)

8:14 PM, December 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home